Friday, August 12, 2011

Stuffed Portobello Cap: A Real Fungi!

I recently entered a contest over at the Veracious Vegan's blog and although I didn't win, Angela listed my recipe as one of her favorites! It made my day! So, for those of you who are sitting on the edge (edge, edge) of your seats, I bring you:

Stuffed Portobello Caps!


For this adventure you will need:
  • 4 Portobello Mushrooms
  • 1 bunch of fresh spinach (chopped coarsely)
  • 3 Roma tomoatoes (or a package of cherry tomatoes) (cut into chunks)
  • 1-2 shallots (I used 1 shallot and 1/2 an onion that I had in my fridge) (finely chopped)
  • 1 cup Panko (or the breadcrumbs of your choice)
  • 1-1 1/2 cups of Balsamic
  • 3-5 cloves of garlic (you know how I am, I think I put in 14 or something) (minced or chopped)
  • 1 cup Mozzarella Daiya
  • 2 Smoked Apple Sage Field Roast Sausages (finely chopped)
  • Salt & Pepper (to taste)
  • Aluminum Foil
As a side dish I couldn't resist Susan V's Roasted Yellow Squash with Onions, with fresh garden squash! For the side dish you will need:
  • 2 yellow squash per serving
  • 1/2 a small onion per serving
  • Canola or Olive Oil
There is nothing I love more than traipsing around the garden with a colander looking for vegetables (and gnomes)! It makes me feel like Laura Ingalls Wilder or like I live in Maple Town.

Garden squash and tomatoes




Begin by cutting, chopping and slicing everything you'll need for both the mushrooms and the squash. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a cookie sheet with canola oil spray or olive oil. Next, slice the squash into 1/4 inch thick slices and slice the onion. Lay the squash on the cookie sheet so it doesn't overlap and sprinkle the onions all around.


Let the squash hang out on the counter and start getting your mushroom filling ready to go!

Shallots and Onion
Smoked Apple Sage Field Roast
Heat a skillet (I used cast iron) to medium heat and add about 2 TBS of olive oil. Toss your Field Roast in and let it get nice and brown, then add your shallots and onions.

While the Field Roast and shallot/onion mixture cook, prepare your mushrooms! I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the meaty inside of the portobello is really easy to scrape out. I liken it to scraping out the inside of a pumpkin before you carve it. Make sure you save all of the mushroom guts to add to your filling, along with the stems!


In a 9x13 casserole dish, or another baking dish that your mushrooms will fit in, pour 1/4 Cup of balsamic vinegar and 1 TBS of olive oil. Mix it around and place your mushrooms in the dish. Using another 1/4 Cup (give or take) of balsamic fill your mushroom caps. Let them sit and marinade while you finish up the stuffing.


Add your tomatoes into the skillet, along with your garlic. Let them cook until the tomatoes get a little wilted. Then add your chopped mushroom guts/stems. Cook until the mushrooms begin to soften.


Toss your spinach into the pan and let it sit on the top until it starts to wilt. Mix the spinach in to the rest of the stuffing!


Once the spinach has been incorporated, pour your cup of bread crumbs into the pan. Stir. It will be very dry! Now is the time to add 1/4 cup of balsamic. The balsamic will add extra delicious flavor and the bread crumbs will absorb the moisture. You may need to add more balsamic or breadcrumbs; just play it by ear! Taste and adjust for desired seasoning.  I added about 1/2 tsp of salt.

At this point in time, put your pan of squash in the oven. Set the timer for 15 minutes and start to assemble your portobellos!

Pour the excess balsamic into the casserole dish; it's a-okay if there is still a little in the cap. In each mushroom cap, sprinkle a tablespoon of Daiya. Distribute your stuffing evenly among the 4 mushrooms and then top with another tablespoon or 2 of Daiya. I used every last bit of the filling for the 4 portobellos.



Cover the dish with foil, but not too tightly because the cheese will stick to the foil. Let your portobellos relax while the squash cooks. After the squash timer goes off, open your oven, flip the squash over (they should be nice and browned!) and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place your casserole dish of mushrooms in the oven and set the timer for another 15 minutes.

And then you're done! These were also excellent for lunch the next day. And I have been thinking about them on a pretty regular basis since I ate them..

Fresh from the oven and ooey-gooey GREAT!

Yum. 

So tasty! 
 Have I mentioned how much I LOVE Daiya? And how much I love that it is at the Safeway? I also love eating on the porch. And the garden. Okay...I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment