Friday, May 13, 2011

Highline Part 1: Being Vegan ain't no Missed Steak

The best way to cure a hangover is the Highline. (I will spare you the link because hopefully all of you have been so enraptured with my previous two posts that you have already viewed both of the links provided. If not, I suggest you take a look. I'll wait for you here. In my food coma.)

I love food; I love eating food, cooking food, taking pictures of food, reading ingredients...I'm no Craig, but maybe in time. I plan on reaching that goal by eating absolutely every item on the Highline Menu, and after an eventful evening on the Bayou I was famished.

The Higline brunch menu is where I began my adventure. Well, sort of,  I began my adventure with a red beer (you know, the whole "hair of the dog" philosophy) which isn't on the brunch menu per se, but whatever.

So. Delicious.



And then it was time to ponder the menu. I didn't have a plan of attack and I was feeling overwhelmed. So overwhelmed that I forgot to take a picture of said brunch menu. To simplify things I chose to start at the top of the list.

Chicken Fried Steak.

Patrick and Brandi, my brunch companions decided on Hashbrown Montreal and the Mushroom Cloud, respectfully. Really, there is no better name for a meal than The Mushroom Cloud and I can't wait until it's my turn to devour it. Look at that beauty!

Yes, thanks, I'd love to eat your dish as well. 
The Hashbrown Montreal was not the loveliest looking menu-item, but Patrick finished it off in under 3 minutes, so that has to count for something.

Sort of scary and insect looking; don't let it deter you!
My steak was slathered in gravy (although, truth be told, I am addicted to gravy and would have easily and happily downed about triple the amount they included) and came with hashbrowns. The plate itself was sort of taupe, but everything tasted great! It completely satisfied my need for a "hearty breakfast" and was so filling that I could barely finish my drink, which was probably a good thing, all things considered.

That sprig really made my steak POP!
The rest of the day was spent lazily; lounging on the grass in Cal Anderson park and snacking on jerky. (Yeah, I know---how?!?! After all that steak?!?!) I have a bona-fide obsession with vegan jerky. It reminds me of my home state, Montana. And I am pretty sure that the Old Timer on the packaging has his own branch on my family tree somewhere.

Stay tuned for Caramel Corn (I promise it's coming), tamales and Highline Part 2 plus maybe a little surprise thrown in because I know that all of you are SO CURIOUS about what I am eating and drinking when I am not sharing it with you. It's okay to have a crush on me, seriously, I'm not creeped out.

PS---Do you like the new background? It is dark and easy on the eyes, not unlike Craig.

1 comment:

  1. So, my guess is that you'll be going item by item down the menu... that being said, WHEN IS MY TURN?! I'm ready to live the Highline life with you.

    xo

    PS Good photography and writing and food journalisting.

    ReplyDelete